Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jacob Made it on the Curve!

I took Jacob in for his 9-month check-up yesterday. He made the curve finally on his head size (he is in the middle of the curve - he has a big head that holds his big brain!) and on his length. He is just below the curve when it comes to his weight. He weights 14lb 15oz and is 26-1/2" long. He is doing great. He got 3 shots and his finger pricked - yuck! I take him to the developmental doctor in about 2 weeks and I am really looking forward to that because that appointment will really tell us how he is doing compared to kids his age.

Poor little man (and poor mommy and daddy), he had a rough night Tuesday night. I think he is trying to get his top teeth in because he was up screaming at 10:30pm, midnight and up for the day at 6:00am. That plus his shots (and the constantly barking dog and fan drying the wet carpet) made for an interesting Wednesday. I was ready for a break so we left the house early and went for a walk around Wal-Mart. I made the mistake of going down the toy isle - there are so many toys that he needs - yes, I mean need. =) He is growing and learning and I want to get him some interactive/developmental toys as I know he will enjoy them more than his baby toys (he reminds me that he is no longer a baby whenever I try and cuddle him).

We are going to get him a play table hopefully this weekend. He has learned how to stand up in his crib. Problem is, once he gets up he can't get down. He screamed standing up for 45min yesterday. Carrie Schuessler said that her kids would eventually fall asleep standing up and that tough love is the key - let him cry and he will learn (probably by hurting himself). Oh the joys of being a mom and letting your child learn on his own. I hope that the play table will not only give him something that he can pull up on instead of just being able to do that at nap time (if we don't get him something his first steps might be in his crib!) and the play table will help him learn how to get down from the standing position.

Baby Maggie Panzella update: she is breathing on her own! Praise Jesus! She is such a miracle. She is doing so good. She was held by her parents for the first time Tuesday night and they were going to let Carrie try and breastfeed her yesterday. She should be going home sometime next week if all goes well! Jacob is really looking forward to a play date!!!

Update on the Search for a Wife for Jacob '08: Now that I have a child, I am thinking that arranged marriages are the way to go. I think it is a great idea. I don't have to worry about my kids dating that way. So, we were thinking maybe Hailey Canada, but she is close to his age and the thought of Sean as a father-in-law makes Jacob nervous. Then we thought maybe the Metzler baby, but they are going to have a best friend for Jacob, not a wife. Now we are thinking Miss Maggie. We like her parents and know she is going to be raised wonderfully and has an amazing supportive family, but she is bigger than Jacob. We might have to wait awhile to make sure that she isn't 3 feet taller than my little man. What do you think? Do you like the idea of an arranged marriage for your kids? Vote in my poll (I think we might really be on to something here!)

2 comments:

kelly :) said...

Hi, Shaw Family! It's Kelly Dottore...so glad to see you all are doing well. Just so you know, there is a GREAT store in Ocoee right next to the CORA called "Once Upon A Child". They have like new clothes and toys. I got Gianna's leap frog table there for $18.00!! Good luck...

kelly :) said...

Hello, Shaw Family! Glad to see you are doing well. Just so you know, there is a store in Ocoee right next to CORA called "Once Upon A Child". They have like new toys and clothes. I got Gianna's leap frog stand table for $18.00!! I go once every other week and get another toy for her for the stage she is at. Good luck...