Friday, October 03, 2008

Jacob's Appointment

I took Jacob to his follow-up appointment with the developmental Doctor on Thursday. I was really looking forward to the appointment and excited to see how far he has come. We had to wait 45min before they took us back to meet with the doctor. Thankfully I brought Jacob’s lunch and a book so the time went quickly.

The doctor asked me several questions at first. I felt like an unobservant mom as I didn’t know if he did certain things (like passing a toy from one hand to the other – we have watched him now and he does do that). At first I thought that was going to be all it was and I was feeling like I should not have come, but then she pulled out her bag and started trying to get him to do things. She watched how he responded to a bell ringing, had him pick up several different items (my money son is trying to climb up my leg right now!), had him try and pick up a small pill-like thing, asked him to pull a string to get an attached ring (he was just fascinated by the fraying string and didn’t want anything to do with the ring) and she tried to get him to pull a peg out of a hole. He did pretty good. I think he would have done better if I was trying to get him to do those things.

He showed her how he crawls (commando crawls) and how he can pull up to standing. He didn’t talk that much. He is so vocal when he is playing – he says da-da and his version of momma (he says it with an “n”). He gurgles and growls and makes a hissing sound, but he did none of that for the doctor. He just made raspberries for her. He did show her how he can wave (which he is starting to understand that you wave at people when you see them).

The doctor said he did really well. He needed to test at a 6.5-month level and he tested at 8-months for verbal (which would have been higher if he would have showed off) and 7.3-months on motor skills (picking up the various toys). The doctor was very impressed.

She was concerned about one thing – she noticed that his muscles (especially his left leg) seemed tight when she tried to work with them. She wasn’t overly concerned, but wants to keep an eye on it. I have another follow-up appointment in December and if it isn’t better then than he will need physical therapy (which the State has a program for preemies from birth to 3 years that is not based on financial need and they will send a therapist out to your house to evaluate your child. Hopefully if he does need physical therapy, through the State program, the therapist will always come to our house. The doctor said that it takes about 2-months for someone to get in the system so I’m going to get that started even though we don’t know yet if he needs it). Adam is going to start working with him now and has a friend from school that does pediatric physical therapy so we are going to get together with her when we get in the new house and have her look at him and help us work with him.

I’m not worried. I don’t like that he might have some residual effects of the prematurity, but I know he is going to be OK. Adam isn’t worried at all. He keeps trying to stretch Jacob, but the little man doesn’t like it. This is going to be interesting. The doctor did throw out the idea of him possibly having braces on his legs to help with the tightness. Oh goodness. It doesn’t matter now. We don’t go back for awhile and from now until then we will pray and stretch our favorite little boy.

I love him so much. I had no idea how much I would love him and enjoy spending time with him. I just have the best time with him. I love his smiles, his laughs, his noises – everything about him!

Oh, I uploaded more pictures if you grammas want to download some good copies of some. Here is the latest photo album with a few cute ones: http://picasaweb.google.com/AdamAndAngela/PicturesUploadedOct3rd#

Maggie update: After Jacob’s doctor’s appointment Thursday, we went over to visit Maggie since we were just next door to the hospital. She looks really good. She is breathing well on her own and should be weaned off the morphine by the end of today. Carrie tried breastfeeding her Thursday and it went ok (she only ate for 5min, but it was the first time). They have upgraded her to level 2, the final level before she is sent home. John and Carrie seem to be doing well, but look tired. I know that they are really ready for this to be over and just to have their little girl home. Good news is that they are closer to that than further away!

No comments: