Thursday, October 23, 2008

Absurd

OK, so I wasn't going to blog until we got into the new house (that way I could focus on what I had to do and not let the computer distract me), but I just have to share this crazy story.

My dad has a mean neighbor. There is no other way to put it. My dad has a pie shaped property and the top of his driveway takes up the entire property line in the front. What does my dad's neighbor do? Put his mailbox right next to my dad's driveway. It is on Steve's (the neighbor) property, but is 30 feet away from his driveway! Why? We don't understand. He also has put concrete pegs along his property line (so when you are backing out of dad's driveway, be careful; if you go off the driveway a little you will ruin your tires!). There are many other like stories. It doesn't sound that bad when I type it out, but it is.

I have never had a run-in with Mr Steve before. In fact, when I lived here he liked me. Steve is a snow bird and runs a bed-n-breakfast in Maine (I don't know how someone with his personality has any business, but I digress...) and he is back here for the summer. If Garnet doesn't know someone, he barks and barks. Barking is a problem for Garnet, but we try really hard to help him with that.

About a week ago, Garnet was barking at midnight. Adam went out to check on him and he was barking 'cause crazy neighbor was in his yard making noise. At midnight!

Anyway, I get home from work Tuesday to Steve standing at my dad's front door. I was the first one home, so I was greeted by Steve and Garnet. Steve, in a mean/gruff voice, told me that Garnet has barked in the middle of the night and barked for 30min straight at him. No “hi”; no “do you live here”; no niceness at all. Just mean talking (Garnet would not stop barking at him while he talked to me).

I was mad at Garnet for barking non-stop and not obeying (something we are going to work really hard on at the new house and if it doesn’t work he is off to school), but I was upset at Steve for how he approached me and the lack of just plain human niceness.

So, Wednesday I was packing and heard Garnet barking again. Now I have to explain this barking. It is not normal “come play with me” barking, it is protector-dog, ferocious barking (he sense something about Steve and doesn’t like him at all). I finished what I was doing and went to get Garnet to stop (mind you he was barking for 2min, max). Garnet of course didn’t listen to me and charged out of the porch. Steve was mowing at his lawn and yelled at me that if it didn’t stop he would take legal action. I finally got Garnet back inside and was shaking. I was mad at my dog for not obeying me and making me chase him to drag him inside, but I was really rattle by the mean man out there. What did I ever do to him and why can’t he at least try and be nice about it? We didn’t know that Garnet barked at him when we weren’t home and have come up with a way to fix that (we are putting a blanket over his crate when we leave so he can’t see out).

I don’t know if I am making sense. Don’t think I am crazy. Other people in the neighborhood think Steve is odd and confrontational as well. Why he has to pick on little me, I don’t know.

Anyway, after Adam and I left for youth last night, animal control showed up. Now Mr Steve said he would take legal action if Garnet didn’t stop. Garnet was inside the rest of the day and didn’t bark again, but Animal Control was still called. Anyway, dad said the man was really nice and asked for the back story on Steve. He understood and was on our side. He had to fill out a report, but said for anything else to happen Steve has to get another household to complain (which will be difficult considering he is mean to everyone and we are leaving Saturday).

I just don’t understand how someone could act that way and not at least try and be nice. Garnet is a great dog and would do fine if Steve would be nice enough to say “hi” and let us introduce Garnet instead of throwing mean words and threats our way.

Garnet will not bother him anymore from our new house, but it is sad that Steve is so angry at the world. Oh God, help me see him how You see him ‘cause right now I just don’t understand.

Garnet now has a record; that rebel!

On a lighter note, it is Jacob and Mommy day today! After being watched for 7 days while I worked and did stuff at the house, we finally have a day together. He is almost ready for his nap and when he gets up we are running errands together. I love running errands with him. I leave him in his seat and put him in the cart and we have the best conversations! We are off to Pet Smart to buy Garnet a new bed and some treats for the new house, Costco, Target, etc. Fun stuff!

My little man is telling me that it is nap time NOW. Off to start the long process of getting this precious kid to sleep!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That is crazy the guy called animal control! What's up with that? It's especially ridiculous because he knows you guys won't be there after Saturday. Ugh! Just a couple more days chica and you're outta there! =o)