Wednesday, December 03, 2008

USPS

I think I am an easy person to please. I am generally happy. I do have times when I get in moods, but for the most part I think I am a pleasant person to be around.

Few things annoy me to the point of ranting (Adam might disagree), but this takes the cake and I feel I must rant to whomever will listen.

I don't ask much from our post office. They continue to raise the price of stamps and I completely understand that. I don't mail much so it really doesn't affect me too much and I really appreciate the forever stamps, not so much for the money I save, but that it saves me from making the trip to the post office every month to buy new stamps.

I think with the increased postage rate that I deserve just a little effort. I only ask these 3 things:

1.) ...that my postman wears a shirt without food stains on it. How hard can that be? The man who delivers our mail at work is really nice and I like him, but has he ever heard of Shout? I get it. You don't want to wear a uniform and I can overlook that, but food stains? Come on!

2.) ...that my mail is delivered at a somewhat consistent time. Between 11am and 5pm is just too broad of a time frame. At work we are trying to work. We have checks that come in the mail that we would like to get deposited and invoices we would like to get mailed. It is hard to make sure we get things mailed when the mail shows up at random times during the day. USPS isn't Sears who says they will fix my fridge between 8am and 5pm. A little consistency would be nice.

And #3 is what pushed me over the edge and caused me to rant...

3.) ...that my mailman doesn't break the law. I think that that is a reasonable request. I was sitting at my desk at home yesterday doing my work. I saw my mailman pull up in an Explorer to deliver my mail. I glanced out the window and then back at my computer and than thought to myself, "hmmm, it didn't look like there was anyone in the driver seat, but surely I saw that wrong." Because my God loves me, I just happened to look out when he was delivering the mail to the other side of the street. I had a perfect view of the driver seat and to my amazement guess what I saw? Nothing! That is right. No one! The driver seat was empty. The mailman was in the passenger seat, delivering mail with his right hand and steering with his left hand, all from the passenger seat! Now, I'm not a cop, but I'm pretty sure that that is illegal. I really don't think it is legal to drive a car from the passenger seat. How was he reaching the peddles? I have no idea. I wanted to walk outside and stare.

I am outraged (I say that with a huge smile on my face because I also think it is hilarious)! I think my $0.42 per stamp should at least afford me a mailman who doesn't break the law or deliver mail at random times during the day (although my home delivery is pretty consistent) and who doesn't wear food-stained shirts. Am I asking too much?

1 comment:

-Jenny said...

I totally understand your frustrations. Just last week I called and complained to the post office about our new postman. Unlike our other postman who would walk when delivering mail, our new man decides to drive, stopping on the road (not pulling up towrds the grass any), block traffic, turn off hos truck and slowly walk to the mailbox, and then back to the truck, only to repeat the same step 10 seconds later at the next house. We also haven't received our mail before 6:00 every evening since we had the new guy. I think it is hilarious that we both are having issues with the postal service at the same time.