Wednesday, September 14, 2011

God is Always

A Jacob story...possibly the best yet:

We went to Maters and Taters (a local produce stand) to get some peaches today. Pumpkins where everywhere and prompted many questions...

Why are the pumpkins out?
Because it is almost fall.
When is fall?
Soon.
The pumpkins are out because it is almost fall?
Yes.
When it is fall, I'm going to going trick or treating.
No.
But it is almost fall...

I wasn't ready to have this discussion in public. First, I felt like the worst mother in that my son knew all about trick or treating (and that it took place in the fall), halloween, ghost, monsters...oh my!

Once in the car, I tried to explain to him that we don't go trick or treating or celebrate halloween because it doesn't honor God. We don't believe in ghosts and monsters are just pretend.

I asked Jacob to repeat back to me why we don't celebrate halloween...he instead asked if we could go trick or treating. I told him again that we don't do those things because it doesn't honor God.

Nothing could have prepared me for what came out of his mouth next...

"Mommy, when God is not here and Jesus is not here, then can we go halloween-ing? When is God going to go back in my Bible?"

I was at a loss for words. His logic was impressive. His ability to reason is amazing. I have to step up my game. My son understands so much. He is so smart. I need to teach him more about his God (and protect him more from learning things that aren't the Truth).

After I gathered my thoughts, we had a wonderful conversation about how God is always, He never leaves us, He gave us the Bible to learn about Him, He takes care of us, He created us...why?, Jacob asked. Because He loves us.

And so, I had another funny and heart warming conversation with my son. I'm sure many more will follow!

No comments: