Thursday, February 05, 2009

Uck!

I have proven that I can clean up an enormous amount of puck and not add to it and I don't feel like I ever need to prove that ever, ever, ever again!

My little man is sick, I think. It all started Tuesday night. We put him to bed at 7pm (his normal bed time) and at 830 he started to whimper. Adam went in thinking he would just stick the paci in his mouth and we would move on with our night...nope! Jacob had thrown up all of the contents of his stomach all over himself and his bed.


Adam came into the living room where I was waiting with a puck-cover Jacob. It smelled so strong that I couldn't even take him and Adam had to get him in the tub and get him undressed and then I took over with the washing of him. It was everywhere-ears, hair, gross! I had to wash his hair twice and it still smelled. Jacob did great and only whimpered. It was like he knew that something strange had happened and that we were trying to help him as quickly as possible.


He woke up Wednesday morning acting normal, but he coughed all night so he went down for an early nap. When he woke up we went and ran errands. I thought for sure he pooped in Target, but it was just really bad gas. When we got home I fed him lunch and then fixed my lunch. I smelled his dirty diaper and went to change that. That is when the drama of Wednesday began...


I changed him and it was really bad. Nothing like I had ever seen before. Right before I took the diaper off, I heard a weird noise and thought Garnet had gotten into something, but then realized it was my chicken boiling over. So I grabbed Jacob and ran to the kitchen, turned off the stove, checked to make sure we didn't loose any poop on the way and then went back to cleaning him up.


I went back to my lunch (must not have been too bad) and he was still fussing. I figured it was time for his nap so I picked him up and headed towards his room. When I got to his crib, he started making this funny noise. I listened and thought to myself that he might be gagging and I should get to tile. I made it out of his door and into my room and then he let loose. Orange puck all over my walls-from the door frame going into his room from mine to my closet door, down the walls, into the outlet, all over the floor. It looked like a crime scene. It was on me and on him. Don't worry, I did try to catch it and so as I proceeded to the kitchen, I dripped my hand-full of puck the entire way. I got him changed and me changed and didn't know what to do next.


He was so tired that I put him to bed, called my mother-in-law to bring over her rug shampooer and started whipping down the walls. I realized that since we are in a new house, it is too early to just buy new carpet so I soaked the carpet with water, scrubbed it with my fingers and used the shop-vac to suck it up (a technique that worked SUPER well; if I didn't have the rug shampooer my carpet still would have looked pretty good). While I was cleaning it up (Jacob was sleeping through this very loud process), I was having some pretty intense conversations with God about my gag reflexes. When I see, hear, smell puck, I add to it and I just didn't have the energy to clean up more. Thankfully, God ignored my telling Him what to do and I made it through.


I called the doctor and they wanted to see Jacob, so I didn't have time to finish cleaning everything so I soak 3 towels (yes, the area was that big) and spread them out over the carpet to make sure it didn't dry. I woke up Jacob and we headed to the doctor. She said it might just be the drainage from his cough and to keep him off milk for awhile or it could be the stomach flu. Thankfully, Adam and I are feeling fine, so I don't think it is a stomach flu.


Feel bad enough for me? Oh, the drama isn't over! He had such bad gas on the way to and from the doctor (he almost had a blow-out there, but I caught it just in time; I don't think that exam room will ever smell normal again!) Jacob had such bad gas that I had to roll down the windows!


When we got home, I put him in his high-chair with a snack and Handy Manny on and started to finish shampooing the carpet. Jacob was fussing the entire time and I had to get the shampooing done before he went to bed because it was so loud. I called Adam's mom and she headed over to rescue us. In the meantime, I checked on Jacob and could tell he pooped. I picked him up to clean him and he had a major blow-out. Through the clothes, through the high-chair pad, through everything. I got him stripped down and opened his diaper and knew this was a job for the tub (this is now his 4th bath in 24-hours). On the way there, he touched his poop and then touched the door-frame of the bathroom.


To re-cap: I have poop on the changing table (thankfully it doesn't have a cover on it), on the high-chair pad, on the high chair, all over his clothes, on the door frame, in the bath tub and quickly being cleaned off of his. I rinsed his hand and as I was reaching for the soap to wash it, he put it in his mouth. Oh yeah, Adam has been at work all day and he had youth last night (obviously I stayed home with Jacob). I was so happy when Grace got there; I was just happy to not be alone anymore. Grace cleaned the tub while I cleaned the high-chair and then she fed Jacob dinner while I finished the carpets.


The diapers haven't gotten much better, but we haven't ruined any clothes today (he went though 4 outfits yesterday) and we have had no more puck. He hasn't acted like he has missed his milk and has down the juice bottles. As odd as it seems that all of that was from the drainage, removing the milk and giving him nebulizer treatments have seemed to help his stomach, but he still has a bad cough. He just coughs and coughs and coughs.


So, that was my drama for yesterday. I'm home today from work and hope to go tomorrow, but we'll see. The excitement really didn't begin yesterday until lunch time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until then.


I thought about leaving you with a picture of all the puck (yes, I had to take a picture for Adam to see what his son did-it was really incredible), but I changed my mind (if you want to see, let me know and I'll email you). I'll leave you with this ADORABLE nap picture from the other day. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Heuslein Family said...

And the "Mom-of-the-Year Award" goes to...........(drum roll)................. ANGELA SHAW!!!! :) If I lived closer, I would totally come over and help you!