Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Due Date

No, I'm not pregnant, but today is the one-year mark of Jacob's due date. He was due on February 26, 2008. How different life would be if I were planning his birthday now.

God gave us such a special gift with our Jacob True and even though is arrival was a surprise, we got something that most people don't ever get - 10 weeks extra with our son!

So today's post and the posts over the next few days are for my son. I started his birth story long ago and never finished it. In honor of today, the day that was supposed to be his birthday, I start his birth story and over the next couple of days I will finish it.

He is my miracle boy. God took us through a lot to get him into the world and helped him fight to stay in it and now he is a perfect little boy. Enjoy the story...

Posted 12/28/07

The story really started before last Tuesday. The first complication I had was swelling in my hands and numbness in my fingers. I wore a brace at night that helped with the pain, but there was nothing we could do for the numbness and it would only go away with delivery.
Just when I was getting used to that, I started to itch. I itched and itched and itched. Mostly at night. I think that started 4 weeks before he was born, but I don't remember. My feet also began to swell and swell. At some point they tested me for preclampsia (don't know if I spelled that correct). I had spots in my vision one night (12/03) and I went to the hospital. They checked on the results of my preclampsia test and it was negative and they sent me home.
I seemed to be doing OK, still itching, but doing OK.


Monday night (12/10) I had a really bad night. I was so itchy and irritated and felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. I didn't sleep at all. I called the doctor that Tuesday and they worked me in. They ordered more tests and thought I might have something wrong with my gallbladder and that would be causing the itching. If that was the case, then they could give me another medicine (I was already on one that wasn't working) and I should be good to go. The only problem was that it took 7 days to get the results back. So, that Wednesday I went and got my blood drawn for that test and waited.

The next Monday (12/17) they called and said the results were back in and were positive and that the doctor wanted me to come in so that they could go over everything. I made an appointment for 9:40 Tuesday morning (12/18). I was excited because finally we had a reason for my itching and they could fix it.

Meanwhile, my feet were continuing to swell and my ankles were huge and (sorry it I gross you out) my urine had started to get really dark, but I was drinking a ton and my trips to the bathroom were not increasing that much....to be continued.

No comments: