Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Youth Retreat

The retreat was wonderful this year. We definitely felt Rick & Carrie stepping back and Sean & Kim not being there. It was a lot of responsibility, but I would do it all over again (although it is nice to know that the retreats after this will be easier, unless the Canadas keep trying to have babies during the retreat).

Bob Levins spoke during the night sessions, Adam spoke Friday morning (I was supposed to speak as well, but had too many things to do so my gracious husband spoke on my part as well) and Rick and Jenny spoke on Saturday morning. They all did a wonderful job.

I think my favorite was Saturday night when Bob spoke on Samson in a message titles "What are you doing in the vineyard?" It was really good. In Numbers it tells of the Nazrerite vow that he took and then in Judges we see him breaking all aspects of that vow (walking through the vineyard when he is do have nothing to do with grapes, raisins, wine, etc.; eating hunny out of a dead carcass when he isn't supposed to touch unclean things...). The last part of the vow that he broke was the cutting of his hair and that is when he lost his strength (and then our Almighty, Gracious God redeemed him once more at the end of his life). It was a different way of looking at the story and was really good!

The free time was a blast as always. We had a thunderstorm that chased us inside for a little on Saturday, but it cleared up just in time for the blob. I have pictures to post, they are on Ally's computer so hopefully next week I'll have a slide show. I went on the blob this year. I went a total of 3 times and even got double bounced (had 2 people jump off to bounce me) the last time. It was really fun!

Worship was good and different. I played the piano and I haven't played in years. It went well, except one song that we pulled out at the end (that we hadn't practiced at all) had a wrong chord. I had to play something and I couldn't figure out what the right chord was. Adam said that I would miss 2 beats and then play the chord and huff really loud. That was embarrassing.

We are taking a break from youth tonight just to give everyone time to recuperate. We are excited about the new year and are planning on starting to plan the next retreat come October. I always love the retreats and love having that time with the kids.

Jacob did wonderful and just about everyone there held him at some point. They really love him and I love that we can model to him what serving Christ looks like.

Until later...enjoy the "storm"!

No comments: