Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Update on Shaws

Wow, I can't believe that the month is just about 1/2 way over and that Jacob will be 8 months old in just a week! Time is really flying. So much has been happening around our "house", I thought it was time for a quick update. . .

We leave Wednesday night for our youth retreat. We are super excited and stressed and overwhelmed. So many emotions, not enough time. We have a lot of responsibility this year. Kim and Sean, the middle school small group leaders, aren't going this year because Kim is due to give birth to Miss Hailey on Sunday (at least that is her due date), so they are staying behind. That means that the responsibility of worship falls on us. I am playing the piano at the retreat. I'm getting nervous and wondering why I said I would do it (we don't like for the youth to play in the band if they don't have to so that they can be ministered to at the retreat). Craziness. God, move my fingers when I am playing...please! All stress and long lists of things to do aside, I cannot wait. It is going to be a great retreat!

Our house is coming along. We have a roof, shingles, windows, a front door, electric, phone, cable and security system wiring run, and all of the framing is done. Adam meets with the builder tomorrow for the pre-drywall meeting. How exciting!

Jacob is doing great. He is making more sounds and starting to be entertained by us talking funny to him or watching tv. You can tell he is understanding more, which is good since he has taken to spitting again and will do it when he is eating or when he is mad and so then this mommy has to get onto him and tell him that that kind of behavior is not acceptable. Laugh all you want, but he knows when I talk serious...he knows when I mean business and usually stops (usually meaning 50% of the time!)

Last bit of news, Rick and Carrie Schuessler have been over the youth ministry at our church for over 7 years now (they started 2 weeks after they got back from their honeymoon). They have decided that that season of their life is over and are going to be stepping down after the retreat and no longer will be involved in youth. Adam and I will be taking over for them. I guess that means I'm married to a youth pastor - it just sounds weird and too official/stuffy! We are excited. If I think about it long enough I get a little scared as it is a lot of responsibility and has its far share of drama, but it will be a blast. We really love those kids like they are our own.

Please be praying for us as we enter this new and exciting season and as we go on the retreat and for Jacob's health (he has been pulling on his ear for days now, is fussy and has a runny nose - we are going to the doctor later today).

My God is a big God and has big plans for the Shaw family. That is so exciting and comforting that He already knows what is going to happen! I can't wait to see what he has in store for this weekend at the retreat...

No comments: