Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Potty Training

A few months ago we tried potty training. I was fully committed and was going to make it work. My goal has always been to only have one child in diapers at a time and I was determined to make this happen....it didn't happen. Jacob wasn't ready. When he would pee on the potty, he wouldn't even realize what was happening. I figured it wasn't time and I would try again later.

Well it is later and I still haven't tried. If we had all wood or tile floors, I could just let him run around in underware and I know it would work better, but I just can't handle cleaning pee off my carpet all day long. School has been crazy and I have been putting potty training off. I have a week between semesters and I think I'm going to try again then.

In the meantime, I figured I should start putting him on his potty more, so he has sat on there twice now before bath. The following conversations took place...

Potty Time #1:
Jacob: It spray? (looking at his boy part)
Mommy: Yes Jacob, go pee-pee on the potty. Spray.
Jacob looks at himself very perplexed
(What happened next was encouraged, or rather not stopped, by me as I thought I knew where he would take it and I just had to find out)
Jacob: turn on?
And then he pushed himself. As if he were pushing an on button.
It didn't work, but I got a good laugh and then told him to stop.
No pee.

Potty Time #2:
Jacob: It spray.
Nothing comes out.
Jacob: Mommy, it broken?
Mommy: Jacob, go pee-pee in the potty.
Jacob: Fix it. It need batteries.
(Oh my goodness, I almost fell over laughing!)
No pee so we take a bath. After bath he asked to go on the potty again.
Jacob: It need batteries. Daddy fix it later.
Still no pee-pee.

No comments: